Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Think Pink: Shopping for the Cure

Am I the only one who is shocked that it's already October?  It feels like I've been here (in NYC/law school) forever, but it also feels like time has flown and, as usual, the summer was entirely too short.  Despite my disbelief, however, I am excited that October is here.  As I'm sure you all know already, October is breast cancer awareness month!  As someone whose family has been affected by cancer in many different ways, raising awareness is very important to me.  I love breast cancer awareness month because it's great to be reminded once a year to be either keep up your own healthy habits to prevent cancer (healthy eating, regular checkups, regular exercise, etc.), and it's also great to see the different ways people show their support for those who are battling cancer and think about it every day of the year.

The month of October always brings a new crop of fun, innovative ways to fundraise for breast cancer awareness.  The American Cancer Society, the Susan G. Komen Foundation, the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, Stand Up to Cancer and several others are all great organizations to support if you feel like making a donation in honor of breast cancer awareness month.  Lucky for us, many of our favorite stores and designers make it extra easy to support breast cancer awareness by partnering with these organizations to sell breast-cancer themed products and help raise money!  Here are a few of my favorites that I have seen - these are GREAT gifts (the holidays are around the corner and it never hurts to start early) and they're also a great excuse to shop for yourself ;)

Bloomingdale's
Bloomingdale's really went all out this year.  The "Give Pink Get More" promotion allows you to make a $15 donation to the BCRF (charged to your Bloomingdale's credit card) and then receive a gift card worth up to $250 based on how much you spend during the month of October.

Bloomingdale's also has their Little Pink Boutique open during the month of October that features all sorts of pink-themed items, and a portion of the sales go to the BCRF.

How cute is this little pink bag?  Only $20!

This little Estee Lauder pin ($12.50) has the traditional pink stones 
for breast cancer awareness, as well as a blue stone to 
represent the percentage of men that are fighting breast cancer.
(Photos Courtesy: Bloomingdale's)


Tory Burch
This October, Tory Burch has released a limited edition pink patent leather Eddie Ballet Flat, available online and at Tory Burch boutiques for $178.  15% of the sales of these shoes go to the BCRF up to a maximum donation of $15,000.

I will admit that I am a pink fanatic...but I LOVE the color of these.
(Photo Courtesy: Tory Burch)


Dogeared
This jewelry store, as a part of its "Think Pink Give Pink" campaign, has a whole bunch of really cute little charms to help you show your support for the fight against breast cancer.  My favorite is a little sterling silver ribbon charm ($46).  This would be a great gift!!

I am definitely going to get this as a gift.  For myself.
And maybe also someone else.
(Photo Courtesy: Dogeared)


Ann Taylor LOFT
LOFT has partnered with Jessica Quirk of What I Wore to make the Jessica Quirk for LOFT Cares Bracelet ($34.50).  $5 from the purchase of each bracelet goes to the BCRF as a part of their "LOFT Cares" campaign, up to a maximum donation of $200,000.

(Photo Courtesy: What I Wore)

So, there you have it!  My "Best of Breast Cancer Awareness" selections.  I hope you'll buy some of these items or make a donation (I know I will!) to support this great cause.


Claire

2 comments: