Tuesday, September 20, 2011

{Style Secrets} Sunglasses

As I'm sure C can tell you, I'm hardly the most put-together or stylish person.  Starting law school has only contributed to that...it's hard to feel stylish or attractive when you're lugging around 20+ pounds of textbooks or spending hours in the library on a daily basis.  To combat that, I've begun to develop little fashion strategies that make me feel more grown-up and put-together.

One thing that really elevates an outfit is a great pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses add an instant touch of mystery and are the perfect thing for covering up tired eyes.

I wish I could say that I got into sunglasses because I'm just a chic, mysterious kind of girl.  In truth, I had a pretty scary checkup with my eye doctor, who warned me that going without sunnies (even in the winter!) had begun to damage my eyes and that I was putting myself at risk for serious eye problems down the road.  (Side note: does anyone else go to an eye doctor that plays a video on loop telling you about all the hazards/diseases that can make you go blind?  It's terrifying.)

Obviously the only thing to do was hightail it to Nordstrom to pick out some fabulous sunglasses.  I'm happy to say that my last checkup was much better, but the habit of wearing sunglasses stuck.  Not only is it good for my health, it's also a chic and easy way to elevate an outfit.

The classic wayfarers are my everyday sunglasses.  I've dropped them a million times, I shove them in my purse without the case, I wear them to the barn, and they still look brand new after a year and half of use.  They also come in other colors like tortoiseshell (totally classic and great for blondes) and red (funky) to suit a lot of different styles.  


I love these super-stylish sunnies from TOMS.  The tortoiseshell is great and the blue tips are a small but unexpected twist.  Plus, as with TOMS shoes, the company donates a pair of glasses with every purchase.
  

Aviators are a total classic and definitely give off a tough-girl vibe.  

Simply put, sunglasses are one of those things that I can throw on and instantly feel more stylish.  After logging serious hours in the library and reading what feels like a million cases, anything that can make me look and feel a bit more radiant and stylish helps!

What are your favorite sunglasses?  Do you wear sunglasses as a fashion accessory or purely as a functional thing?
xoxoKate


1 comment:

  1. With regard to your first statement, I respectfully dissent. I feel obligated to let the readers know that Kate DOES always look put together. In over eight years I have never seen you look un-put-together. However, I do believe this has a lot to do with your style secrets so please keep them coming, I want to know how you do it!

    ReplyDelete