Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

I'm sure every other blog on the planet is doing a 9/11 post, but as a lifelong resident of the DC Metropolitan area and a current resident of the District proper, I wanted to share my thoughts.  Thanks for reading.

Ten years ago today I was sitting in my 7th grade English class when the planes hit the towers and Pentagon.  School policy was to keep information about the attacks from students until they could talk to their parents, but our teacher chose to spare us the wait and informed us of what had happened in New York and Virginia.  I'll never forget her words that day when she told us "this is going to be a very big deal for a very long time."

Her words were incredibly prophetic.  As we slowly learned the details of the attack, I think most people were in a state of shock.  It would be weeks before the true historical magnitude of the situation would be understood.


Even with a decade's distance from the attacks, it is immediately apparent that the pain from 9/11 is still very much with us.  When the earthquake shook my law school classroom (we're only a few blocks from the White House) last month, my first thought wasn't a natural disaster, it was a terrorist attack.  


I am reminded of a favorite quote by Rose Kennedy.  "It has been said 'time heals all wounds.'  I do not agree.  The wounds remain.  In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens.  But it is never gone."  






Hug your loved ones and stay safe today.
xoxoKate

1 comment:

  1. It is crazy how much our perceptions have changed since that day! My thoughts and prayers today (and every 9/11) are with all affected by this tragedy.

    ReplyDelete